Friday, June 13, 2008

Bits and Pieces

I felt like posting but there's not a whole lot to post about that's all that interesting......

Richelle's hamster is growing almost as we watch him. He drove her out of her bed and to the couch two nights in a row because his wheel was noisy. I put a drop of vegetable oil on the mechanism today and it quieted down considerably. We'll see how she does tonight. I told her it was like having a new baby - they keep you up until you're exhausted and then wake you up in the night. Richelle named him Sokki but Mike insists on calling him Stewart as in Little which annoys her no end. This evening he referred to Sokki as his grandchild (!!!). I never, ever thought he'd enjoy a hamster but he sure seems to.

Cameron's holding up under the strain of ten-hour days of hard labor. He was having a hard time with fatigue and even resorted to caffeine pills a couple of times. I remembered an athletic teacher from high school talking about how he made peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate for energy while cross-country skiing so Wednesday night (yes, night!) I made a search online for Buckeye Ball recipes and made a batch. They didn't look all that pretty because I didn't want to wait until midnight for them to chill hard before I dipped them but Cameron said they were quite tasty and did the trick nicely. He took six to work and ate four of them first break and the other two last break and had no trouble staying alert. I think I'd rather him eat a homemade candy like Buckeye Balls instead of pop a pill containing about 150mg of caffeine.

He's bulking out and I can see a difference just in one week. He's always been a solid boy but he's getting some serious muscles on him now. Look out girls........or maybe I should say, "Look out, Cameron!"

The flowers in the baskets are growing but with the cooler weather we've been having, not that rapidly. We had a decent June day today with clear skies and temps in the mid 80s. Himself has ceased complaining over their slowness and has resigned Himself to wait. I was given a basket of petunias that smell so delicious! I don't have it hanging, yet, but will get to that tomorrow.

We had our Girl Scout Court of Honor last night. We do this twice a year and it's a time where the girls' families come together at a potluck and witness the girls being awarded the badges they've completed, the honors they've earned, and the participation patches for the events they've attended. The parents who've helped in the troop are thanked and are usually given a small gift of appreciation. That's where I got the petunias. I have such a great leader to work with! I headed up the project to nominate our leader for Outstanding Troop Leader award for our area and of course she got it! How could she not with all she does? Fortunately, the awards committee is an intelligent group of women and agreed with us that she is a fine, outstanding troop leader.

Tuesday, Richelle holds the Daisy Bridging Workshop and Ceremony event that she's been working on so hard the last few months. This project completes the requirements for her Bronze Award, the highest award for her level of Girl Scouts. I am looking forward to next Wednesday morning because then the event will be behind us and only paperwork to finish!

No comments: