I have never heard anyone complain that their life is getting less and less busy. Ever. That is because if a person's life becomes less busy, they cherish the fact. They revel in a second cup of tea and embrace an evening with nothing more strenuous on the agenda than a good book and an early night.
There are those who have learned to say "no". These people know their limitations and aren't embarrassed to stick to them. I, on the other hand, tend to see a block of time as an opportunity to wedge yet another thing in.
Take last week, for instance~
Monday was so far in the past that I can't remember what I did. I know I didn't go to Boy Scouts that night but I don't know what I did do.
Tuesday was Lego Robotics after which I went straight to a friend's house to help prepare for a Girl Scout outing that weekend. We got back home around 10pm.
Wednesday, our GS troop made about 90 dozen cookies for a local fund-raising effort to help pay for summer camp for children with cancer. We raced back home in time to go to Bible study.
Thursday was my Ladies' Tea. I had invited a number of ladies to my home for tea that afternoon. We had a wonderful time nibbling goodies, sipping tea, and visiting. No, we did not gossip! This day was made complicated the day before when Mike told me that whatever I had scheduled to do Thursday morning, I'd better get it done Wednesday (as if I had time!) because he needed me up on the tractor cutting a ditch for the water lines he had to get in before going to work. The short version of the story is that he'd cut the line inadvertently while trying to locate it for the new water line and the house was waterless until he fixed it. And ladies coming for tea!!
Friday the GS troop went on a Leadership Training weekend. We camped indoors so that made things a little easier but we had the girls cook Saturday supper using the Dutch oven (lasagna), the box oven (crescent rolls), and foil (brownies cooked in an orange peel).
To top everything off, my glasses broke Sunday morning right after we got up. I reached up to adjust them and the ear piece came away in my fingers. I did some swift thinking and asked the girls if anyone had some fingernail polish. One of them had some glow-in-the-dark polish that she let me use to sort of glue the fishing line stuff to the lens to hold it in place. I then reinforced it with a thin strip of Duct tape and got home in one piece. I was able to see the eye doctor Monday but I won't get my new glasses for ten days to two weeks. Richelle dug out my old pair from about six years ago and they suffice for now.
A cup of tea, a good book, and an early night sound wonderful!
1 comment:
I'm going to say no today. Just got an email from a friend who is coming into town after Thanksgiving and planning a big girls' lunch/nutcracker trip AND wants men volunteer "supervision" for her husband. Knowing how I usually feel the weekend after Thanksgiving, this calls for a big gigantic NO! It's only taken me 43 years.
Boy, you did have a busy week!
Post a Comment