Friday, December 24, 2010

Bradlee's First Haircut


     It was more of a hair trim than a haircut, really.  His long newborn hair was mighty uneven with the new growth coming in.  I figured I'd hold him while Jenn cut but she wasn't feeling confident with scissors and comb, having used only electric barbershop trimmers, so I did the honors.
     Richelle was handed the camera but quickly assumed the pressing role of Baby Entertainer.  I scratch my head over the fact that it took three people to cut the boy's hair:  One to hold him, one to entertain him and snap a photo here and there, and one to do the cutting.  At barely five months, he's not sitting on his own although he's getting pretty steady, so the holder couldn't really be the entertainer, too.
     His duck-down hair was so light!  Usually, I dampen the guys' hair and then give my wrist a flick to send the cut bits to the floor instead of onto my arm and up my sleeve and between my fingers.  Bradlee's hair dried so fast that when I'd flick my wrist, a little puff of brown smudge would launch softly into the air, hover a bit, and then lightly float down.  I think if I'd inhaled deeply at any point, I'd have had Bradlee-hair in my mouth.
     I know he looks big enough to go kick around the soccer ball and at twenty pounds and measuring twenty-seven inches, he is.  However, he hasn't learned yet how to crawl and one must walk before one can run.
     I felt quite privileged to be the one running the scissors.  How many grandmas get to give their grandsons their first hair trim?

1 comment:

Calysta said...

What a sweetie!! Maybe you can come give Tyler a trim. He's looking a bit ragged around the edges. At about Bradlee's age I gave him a little clip on top, but his ears need it now.

And I completely believe it takes that many people to perform this task!!