Friday, December 16, 2011

Preparing Breakfast with Bradlee

Let me state from the beginning that I love twins.  Especially baby twins.  The sight of two little ones the same size, dressed alike, is one my eyes feast upon.  And if they're identical, I have to be firm with myself not to be rude with the feasting.

Having said that, I'm glad Bradlee isn't twins.  It takes all my attention to stay ahead of him and most days I feel successful when I stay even.

Like this morning, for instance.  We had the privilege of having Bradlee overnight and he slept soundly from ten until five-thirty this morning when Mike's showering woke him.  Mike led him by the hand to me and I woke up to the sight of a smiling baby at my bedside.  I patted the pillow and he happily climbed up and rested for about ten minutes before deciding he was quite finished with this sleeping stuff and felt it was time to get on with living the new day.

In due course of time, I was in the kitchen preparing breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast.  Every time I opened the fridge, Bradlee hijacked something from the door.  In short order, I had half a dozen jars and bottles scattered about my kitchen floor.  Shaking a jar of yeast while sucking on the lid of the soy sauce pales after a bit so he turned to the drawers.  By the time I could finish turning a piece of bacon and put down my fork, he'd wielded the salad tongs like a pair of loppers, tossed them to the floor and was reaching for the can opener.  I firmly discouraged him and closed the drawer so he went to the cabinet farthest away from me and started dragging out kettles.  He can't hurt kettles - not yet, anyway - so I let him play in peace.

His stillness caught my attention after a while.  I turned to see him standing above a kettle, an open squeeze-bottle of caramel syrup upside-down in his hand, making swirls, curlicues, and other fancy stuff in the kettle.  He seemed somewhat mesmerized by his creation and the method thereof and didn't make a sound when I removed both bottle and kettle.  Indeed, he didn't move until I had the floor cleaned up.  Not that there was much to clean up. He'd drizzled maybe two tablespoons of syrup and only about one teaspoon landed on the floor.

My thought at that point was, "Bradlee, I'm so thankful you're not twins!"

3 comments:

Melita Stafford said...

That is so cute! I love how well you describe this, it makes me feel like could have been there (and boy, would I ever like to be!) Anyway, I was thinking as I read this that maybe you were going to hunker down there by him and let him finish off that caramel syrup in the kettle. It sounds kinda fun! Like dripping candle wax in water, except safer for babies. =) Our Julia is a texture chick, and loves it when I squirt shaving cream on the tile floor so she can write and draw in it, some kids just love textures!
I say you should have let him have his fun! ;)

Joann said...

I'd have loved to let him play but three things interfered...bacon was actively cooking in the pan, Bradlee was getting cranky for breakfast, and syrup is sticky! I've been thinking of some way I could let him play like that without the mess. Thinned out and colored Elmer's glue on a large sheet of paper? Cheap bottle of syrup while standing naked in the bathtub? I'll come up with something.
Yeah, wish we could get together sometime. Haven't seen you all for ages.

Melita Stafford said...

Sigh, it's so true that life in general interferes with the fun, sometimes. I am trying to think of a good idea... they have this really thin washable finger paint that might work well in a high chair or something. =) Sounds like you have your hands full, but in a very enjoyable way! =)

And I hope we can make my West Coast family a priority in 2012, it's about time! Bummer I missed out on Gma's birthday, sounded like such a wonderful time.