traffic court \traf-ik cōrt\ n : That which inspires us to more closely follow the driving laws.
I had neglected to renew the tags on our Explorer and this was pointed out to me by a nice man dressed in a handsome uniform driving a car with pretty red and blue lights mounted on top.
I would like to point out right here and now that procrastination runs freely in my veins. Those tags were almost a year past expiration. My defense, which the judge thought was worth about two cents, was that at the time the renewal came up the truck's drive line was in pieces on the ground and there was some serious question if it was going to be put back together. When I was finally able to drive it about five months later, the minor detail of expired plates was far from my mind. It did occur to me a few times since then but usually at about 10pm or when I was in town for an evening meeting of one sort or another.
I thought the fine was pretty steep at $97 but after listening to the citations and fines levied on defendants A - L, I was quite happy that $97 was all I was fined. The judge reduced it to $73 which I cheerfully paid.
Some of those citations.......! Driving while suspended......driving without insurance.......no proof of insurance.......failure to obey traffic device......speeding...... Did you know that in the state of Oregon, driving without your license is a criminal offense?? The officer can cuff you and take you in! It makes no difference that you HAVE a license, you have to have it WITH you. I don't know what the fine is because the officer didn't cite the chap with it, only driving without insurance and for whatever he was pulled over for....I think illegal operation of a vehicle. He plead not guilty so the illegal operation wasn't discussed.
Don't EVER get your license suspended and if you do, NEVER, EVER drive. It's too costly besides going on your record. Nearly $400 for the fine plus about $200 for driving without insurance plus whatever it cost to get the car out of impoundment - between $300 and $600. As the judge pointed out, if your license is suspended, your insurance company automatically cancels you and if you're caught driving, the car gets impounded so the three all go together. Ouch!
I now have no desire to speed or try to beat the red light, nor will I wait until the last minute to renew either tags or driver's license.
2 comments:
Amazing what a little perspective will do to a person's outlook. :-)
i spent an hour at DMV getting Chris' tags renewed...end of the month and there are some changes in fees coming up tomorrow,, so it was BIIIIZEEEE! it was quite entertaining to watch the faces of people as they entered and even to listen to what they exclaimed as they saw the huge crowd.
Post a Comment