I had to have Richelle post the last entry and she took liberty with a post script.....
The girls got a little out of hand that first night so we stayed together as a troop the first day until lunch. The girls groused a little but they had fun and we turned them loose at lunch time. We took the precaution of making sure they understood the consequences of getting separated from their buddies and checked that each buddy pair had a cell phone.
I went on Splash Mountain and rode in the front. It's always like a different ride when you sit in front. This is a water ride and the two of us in front got thoroughly soaked from head to knee in my case and head to foot in hers. We met up with some of our girls after the ride and they pointed and laughed.
I didn't get to go on Space Mountain the first time I went because they were re-doing it for the 50 year celebration. I sure missed a great ride!
I suppose my favorite rides are Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soaring Over California, and California Screamin' - the last two on the California Adventure side. If I could only ride one, it'd have to be Screamin'. I just love the first five seconds!
A few great memories:
The girls do something called a "force push" where they pretend to lick their hands (sometimes it's not pretend!) and then shove it in someone's face, causing the victim to flinch back. The six girls I was with one afternoon were doing that to each other while we were waiting to meet up with a group going to the motel. One girl did it to me only I purposely didn't flinch and her wet (!) hand made full contact on the side of my face. I hollered her name and took off after her. On about the third step, my brain clicked in and I realized she'd used water, not spit, on her hand. She was pleased as Punch to have gotten me so good.
I didn't realize it but one of the girls was/is absolutely terrified of heights. In spite of that, she went on most of the rides everyone else did at least once. Sometimes her hat was pulled over her face and sometimes her eyes never opened the entire ride, sometimes there were tears of terror and always there was screaming but she was determined to do what rides she could. She flatly refused to ride Maliboomer and I had to do some fast talking to convince her to go on Tower of Terror but California Screamin' became one of her favorite rides.
This was Richelle's favorite pastime - eating Mickey Mouse ice cream. She must have consumed at least half a dozen in those three days.
The contrast in this picture: Richelle in the front row with a big grin and arms straight up vs. the girl second row, second from right. That's the one and only time she rode Tower of Terror. What a trooper!
The fireworks show was spectacular. We weren't in a good spot for photos but I did my best.
It took two hours longer to get home than it took to get there. The girls weren't pushing to get home like they were to get there and they had a little spending money left that had to be spent before they got home. Plus, they had to figure sales tax before they could decide if they had enough to make the purchase. We also stopped for lunch and supper going home but the girls had brought a sack breakfast and lunch for the trip down. Seventeen hours after we left the motel, we pulled into the same library parking lot and ended our adventure....at 2:30 am.
I still had two girls to connect with a parent in a nearby town on my way home so I didn't walk into the door of my house until 3:30 am. It's taken me until today to feel completely recovered. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment