A local homeschooler challenged us to post on our group page once a week about something for which we are thankful. She went on to say that she was going to post something on her blog once each day of November. Well, I'm already two days behind so I thought I'd just post twice a week or so. Maybe.
I can say the typical things about thankfulness for health, job, home, children, etc. but I don't usually do the typical thing. Today, however, my topic is health.
Richelle and I were in town Monday evening and finished up at the grocery store. Richelle pushed the cart from the store to the truck as another attack of paralysis came on. This one was a little worse than the last one (10/23) both in intensity and in type. There was maybe 20% loss of use but the disturbing thing was the tingling feeling she had as if her thighs had gone partly to sleep. Up until now, the nerves affected have been the motor nerves - the ones that make your muscles move. The tingling indicates something going on with the sensory nerves. However, the herxheimer reaction typically occurs at two days and at four weeks after starting treatment and Monday was four and a half weeks. Was it a coincidence or the cause? I don't know.
We discussed this new development on the way home and Richelle expressed her thankfulness for the paralysis because who knew how long she'd have gone without treatment if she hadn't had that first attack back in September.
I echo her thankfulness. There's a lot of speculation out there that Lyme is the true reason behind so many nebulous conditions such as fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. So thankful we didn't have to travel into that fog of uncertainty. The road we're traveling isn't all roses and singing birds but at least we know what we're dealing with instead of simply treating symptoms.
I will add my deep gratitude for a sister who thinks outside the box and has given us several hours of her precious time in advise, encouragement, and treatment and for an excellent chiropractor who also thinks outside the box and attended a conference on Lyme disease last July as part of his continuing education this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment