A couple of years ago, Cameron asked if I'd make him a quilt out of jeans. A year ago, he asked again and then quit asking since no quilt was forthcoming. I felt so guilty that I decided to not only make the quilt for him and Serena but to make it large enough to completely cover their queen-size bed.
I came up with a design but wasn't sure how I wanted to finish it. I knew I couldn't quilt it because I don't have a quilting machine and wasn't willing to pay for someone else to do it. I don't really like the yarn tied quilts and was stumped on what to to. Since this was my first quilt I've ever made, I brought the quilt top to Mom's 80th birthday celebration and asked my far more experienced family members for advice. Because of the size ( 85" x 105") and the weight (12 pounds), I wondered if it would be too much to put any kind of batting in it. I'd originally thought to use a micro-fiber blanket for the batting with a sheet backing but after listening to all the experts, I decided to make it a duvet cover - that is, make a pocket on the back where a blanket can be inserted.
This is the finished product. It took sixteen of Mike's worn-out 501 Levis and two more pairs of jeans I had to buy from a second-hand store.
A closer look...
The lines are the outside leg seams cut on the diagonal. The little pocket in the center is the coin pocket. I only broke four needles sewing it all together and I learned I had to turn the flywheel by hand going through the thicker seams.
I love the story told by those patches. Some of them are far more faded than others; wear spots on every left pocket where Mike puts his work gloves each day he's at the mill; marks from the glue they use in the mill to make the plywood; grease stains from working on the vehicles...
5 comments:
This is very awesome! And also a bit condemning, truth be told. I, too, have a jeans quilt project. Mine started sometime before Julia was born, and I began collecting jeans and skirts from people. Marian helped me cut my 9in squares because I plan to make a "pre-quilted" quilt. Take two 9in squares, put a 7in square of soft and natural batting between them and sew an ex. Then, sew the squares together with a one inch seam facing one direction, then fringe it and be done! However, I can't back two pieces of jeans together, so I plan to use flannels, soft courderoy and other fabric I find on sale. But the blankets are still squares in a storage box in my closet. =)
So hooray for you, on finishing this task and doing it with such pizazz. I love the design, and I'm glad you got yours finished so maybe I can copy a little? =)
I meant to say "sew an X". =) Ooops!
Awesome, Joann! You did great. :) I, too, am gathering jeans. I haven't begun cutting squares yet, though - I'm sure it will be MANY years before I get back to that one. Meanwhile, I'll take inspiration from yours. :)
This is FANTASTIC Joann!! You have never made one before and you are such a busy woman, eyt you did the research and got down to it and made it. What a precious gift, so personal and loving. xx
Way to go, Joann! It turned out beautiful! I still am so impressed by what a great job you did planning your first quilt. I'm so glad I got to see it up close and personal - The photo is great, but really doesn't do it justice. I have to say I believe you did better than I'd have come up with!
Post a Comment