Monday, May 5, 2008

Eagle Scout

I see I'm not off to a good start about keeping things posted! The following was written last week and then I was interrupted and never got back to it until now. Ah, well.

Cameron went to his Eagle Board of Review last Tuesday night and is now officially an Eagle Scout. We are so proud of him! Several questions we had were answered for him at that time.
He had responded to the notification letter, letting the chairman know that the date and time fit in with his schedule as was requested. The email he got back mentioned that the chairman would officiate but was not allowed to vote because he knew Cameron. So then we wondered what would happen if all the members knew the Eagle candidate. I thought that was unlikely because I didn't even know many of the Eagle board members. Turns out I was wrong! I don't know many of the Eagle board members but that's not who sits in on the review. The review is made up of Eagle Scout adults from this area who don't know the candidate. In Cameron's case, there weren't any Eagle Scout adults who didn't know him. So the answer to the question "What happens if..." is that they choose three members who don't know him very well.
We now know that there is a minimum of three on a review, they all need to be strangers to the candidate (or as unknown as possible!) , and they're all Eagle Scouts that live in the area. Strange I didn't find this out when Nick went before the Eagle Board! I wonder how difficult it was for them to form a review board for him?




It is such a relief to have it done. For a while there, I'd nearly given up because he was so stubbornly opposed to earning this. I have SUCH a stubborn child. And he certainly does not get his stubbornness from me because I have every last bit of what I was born with and have since cultivated more! I was nearly out of my mind with frustration because he stopped working toward Eagle rank when he was three and a half merit badges and one project short of the necessary requirements. When you learn that there are twenty-one badges and six previous ranks required along with that project, you can empathize with my frustration.

But it's done now!!


No comments: