Thursday, May 29, 2008

Friday

This afternoon, Cameron decided he wanted chicken fried chicken for supper. It's one of his favorite entrees. He rummaged around in the freezer until he found the chicken tenders and thawed them out and Richelle got some potatoes to prepare. I told Cameron to go ahead and trim up the tenders while I peeled the potatoes and he got a rather revolted look on his face. Touch raw chicken?? I pointed out that if he was planning to make this after he moved out, he was going to have to plan on touching raw chicken. He thought really fast and said he'd rather watch me do it this time so he'd know how to do it next time. I told him I knew that was only and excuse but went ahead and it anyway. He watched closely but never asked to try it himself even after watching me do three or four.

I love making this supper because both the kids are in the kitchen with me. Richelle dips the tenders in the milk, dredges them in flour, then drops them in the beaten eggs. Cameron fishes them out, coats them in crushed Ritz crackers or crushed Special K cereal (whichever we have on hand), then takes them to me to fry. I'm standing at the stove monitoring the cooking and the kids are working together at the sink board getting them ready at a pace that isn't too fast or two slow. I mean, the kids are working together! Without a hint of an argument!! Tonight, I told them that even if I went without supper, I'd still consider it a success because of the fun we had preparing it. They agreed. Then asked if I planned to eat supper.

I didn't even think until this moment to get any pictures but it's a moot point. I don't even have my camera. Nick borrowed it last weekend and I haven't gotten it back yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what part of fishing them out of the eggs and coating them with the cereal/crackers does Cameron not think is touching raw chicken??? I realize there's already a coating, but it's mighty thin! Shhhh....don't tell him! :-)